Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Story: Part 2

I'm starting this blog mainly for my own self satisfaction and to vent frustrations publicly at Chicagoland and even more at Cook County and especially the City of Chicago. My roomates and even my family mention my "negative" attitude toward Chicago, maybe its because they still don't understand the misery of the damn place. That is my main goal of this blog, If I can reach even one person who reads this and finds truth in what I'm writing, then my job is done. I decided to describe my experiences combined with my knowledge of the area to give a unique view of the area. I was born in raised in a nearby western suburb, as I am mentioned in the previous post. My Father's side lived on the West side of the city for generations. My Mother's side in a nearby former farm town which is now part of Chicagoland sprawl, which is itself another topic for a post.
If anyone has a right to complain about Chicago, its my Father, Grandfather and their family members. They were raised in that city; a large, Roman Catholic family that still resides in the Chicagoland area. My Father mentions little of Chicago, probably because he knows what a miserable place it is. He has mentioned that he would "never live there again," referring to the city. My Father is no idiot: he left that place for a reason. I would argue that the suburbs aren't far enough away, especially the Cook County ones.
My Grandfather is a true 20th century pioneer of Chicago; born and raised in the twenties and the Depression, he sits in nursing home off of North Avenue in the suburbs. He raised more than 10 kids, clinging to the old Roman Catholic Chicagoan way of life. His wife, my Grandmother, has been dead since 1999. I go to breakfast with my Grandpa when I go back home and his conversations are always a little morbid and increasingly depressing: the role of women, getting old, when there was horse drawn carriages in Chicago. I want to also mention that I went to the same Catholic high school he went to in Chicago. I should also note that I was raised Roman Catholic and I don't think Chicago can be described adequately without bringing up the Catholic Church.

No comments: