Friday, April 25, 2008

"Sandra Does Not Do Blogs"

Yesterday, I received a reply back from Sandra Cisneros' agent. I wanted to see if I could get the Chicago author and former resident to write a contributing article on why she doesn't live in Chicago anymore. I also wanted the successful former resident to comment on my opinions. Cisneros' upbringing in the Hispanic community would give me a better picture of their outlook on life there; Cisneros was raised in Chicago and wrote the novel The House on Mango Street. Cisneros no longer lives in Chicago. This seems to be the pattern for successful Chicagoans: they leave. Stuart Dybek, who is best known for his book of short stories, entitled The Coast of Chicago, also left Chicago. Dybek's short stories are, for the most part, a happy reflection of life in Chicago. Dybek's Chicago is certainly not my generations' Chicago; if it were, Dybek would probably still live there. The anonymous commentator "r" on my blog said that his friend from Bridgeport, in his early thirties, doesn't even recognize the city and people any more. I'm in my early twenties and I can see changes from even a few years ago. My Grandfather said he doesn't even recognize the city, the people or the buildings. The city is always changing. Cisneros' agent quickly wrote back to me saying that "Sandra does not do blogs." I'm not surprised at the discrimination I am faced with my blog--All it is is online commentary. If I had a job at the Chicago Sun -Times or the Chicago Tribune, I might receive some respect. Those writers may be out of a job shortly, anyway. Probably because they are not going to give you the truth about Chicago and traditional newspapers are almost dead. If you want to read some "Rah Rah" Chicago editorial, then continue reading those newspapers. If you want a unique and critical perspective on Chicago, then read my postings. I'm keeping the Adsense Ads on, by the way, to humor myself at all of the ironic ads it displays. I'm going to try to contact Dybek now and get to the bottom of why he left.

No comments: